One of the most popular question on Christianity that I am often asked is not, “What does the Bible teach?” but “Do you have to give 10% of your income to church??”
I must confess I find it tough to answer the question.
Not that I am apologetic for giving tithes, but trying to get non-Christians to see the principle behind tithing is akin to explain rocket science to the chicken rice seller at my house’s coffeeshop…. they just don’t get it.
I mean, without a clear understanding of God’s words, it is just futile to try to comprehend such a biblical principle with a worldly mindset.
But I would try… with the example below:
You have a business partner who is an extremely smart and capable guy. He volunteers to do all the work on condition that you give him a free rein in the running of the company.
He does an excellent job, bringing in huge amounts of business. But instead of asking for a major share in the profits, all he wants for is only 10% in recognition of his work, and you get to keep the other 90%.
What’s more, he continues to work hard every year to grow the company, making you richer and richer, but never once ask for more than 10%.
Now, I don’t know if someone like that existed in real life, but if he does, would you mind having a partner like him?
In the same way, that is how God works.
After prospering you, all He wants is 10% in recognition that He is THE provider of your blessings. In return, He would further protect your remaining 90% and grow it even further!!
If that is not a good deal, I don’t know what is.
And contrary to what many believes or is led to believe, tithing is not a “MUST GIVE”, but rather a “GET TO GIVE”. You give because you are blessed, not you want TO BE blessed!!
Don’t take my words for it. God said it Himself:
“Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house. Test Me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit,” says the LORD Almighty. “Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land,” says the LORD Almighty. (Malachi 3:10-12)